Friday, April 15, 2016

Blog 9: 4/15/16

Hello again!

I cannot believe how much time has passed by! I have one more official week left in the lab before my senior research project comes to a close.

This week I have been focusing a lot on my powerpoint. Practice presentations are coming up and soon after that, I have my final presentation.

I have broken up my presentation into a few categories. I initially focus on prior knowledge/ previous research on Rett Syndrome, my own research question, my research process in the lab, and analysis of results/ next steps.

Rett Syndrome is a relatively new field. Labs around the world are working hard to piece together information to find a cure for this disease.

Here is some information on Rett.

Symptoms

Not always detected at first, but a slowing of head growth is the first indication.

Loss of muscle tone.

Loss of hand function

Around 1 to 4 years, social and language skills deteriorate (social anxiety and withdrawal are common)

Uncoordinated breathing, epilepsy

Right now, there is no cure for this syndrome. BUT, it is curable. I am very excited to be a part of a lab that is working towards a cure for this disease.

The C4RCD (Center for Rare Childhood Diseases) website makes a wonderful comparison between the search to identify a unique genome string in a child to the story of a "Brave Zebra". This short story shows how conducting research on rare childhood diseases is like searching for a tiny lifeboat in a vast ocean, a quest that is difficult but proven to be successful in the story.

Thanks for keeping up with me. I can't believe that next week is my last week on this project.

I look forward to seeing how everybody's research comes along within the next few weeks.

Sincerely,
Pooja




4 comments:

  1. Hi Pooja! I'm so excited to hear your final presentation! It has been so fun following your blog each week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited to see your final powerpoint! It's also interesting to see what Rhett syndrome actually does to the patient, I had been reading these posts looking at the microbial level and not the actual effect of the disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your last week at your lab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work Pooja. Excited to see your presentation. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete